load and tps

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

SEB79

load and tps

Post by SEB79 »

hi !

a day I would like to succed to understand how that work in order to use my car !

Indeed ! When the throttle is fully open, the megajolt will detect the corresponding throttle position sensor voltage and will apply full load enrichment. ... But how to find right values when we use a tps sensor. There is no information about this on the website. I serach a lot of maps. Too much people use map sensors. Can you give informations about that ? I can't have the opportunity to go to a dyno here. if I can't use my car I will be be obliged to remove all and to use a dizzy. That's boring. But I have no other choice to do. Few months I asked the same answer. I succed to sart the engine. But i use load for map sensor. I tried to write a map with differents values for load. But I won't to a mistake with my engine. I want to fallow tests but I need to be sure to be in the right direction with map. I know I seem to be unhappy and not fun when I write this message. But I'm disapointed. A little bit fed up to be in a black hole and never find maps for tps sensor, or information in order to understand how to adjust load and rpm. I know how many advance I need for my specs engine. But about load... please, help !

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hello,

The MJLJ "Operation Guide" documentation will help you with with the information you need.

If you have a "TPS" optioned MJLJ, the first thing to do is calibrate your unit for proper TPS operation, to reflect a 0 to 100% load based on throttle position. The instructions for calibrating are here:
http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Op ... al_Options

Be sure to set the "configuration software" to show the load in TPS%, in "first time use"
http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Op ... t_time_use

After this is done, you can change your load bins to reflect the 0 to 100% increment, instead of the MAP sensor calibration.
http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Op ... F_RPM_Bins

Most people start off with an even spacing from 0 to 100%
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

SEB79, at 100% TPS, which is wide open or full throttle, you need to set your advance curve for max power while not pinging or having detonation. It all depends on what motor you have and if/how it is modified. As the throttle is REDUCED, advance INCREASES for part load/light throttlr/cruise settings. You absolutely DO NOT increase advance with more throttle application. This will surely destroy your engine. Usually you can have part throttle advance in the are of 10 to 15 degrees, again depending on the engine. Reference my TPS map in the maps library, under DannyP.

If your car had a vacuum advance, try to find out the range of control it had in degrees and duplicate this with your TPS values.

Use the CENTRIFUGAL curve to set your 100% TPS or FULL LOAD curve.

I initially ran my car with no load curve, all vertical columns were the same, then I added load curve later.

Hope I helped you.

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

Seb, please stick with it.

I think we understand how difficult it can be, but trust us when we say that when setup correctly you will reap the benfits over a standard distributor any day.

It is frustrating sometimes, especially with the language barrier but i'm sure we'll endeavour to help.

Keep it up.
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available

britlude

Post by britlude »

i have tps on my car (in fact i have fitted 2 cars with tps, and one with manifold pressure sensing)

connect the tps sensor to the carburettor/ pedal/wherever and wire it to the mjlj. once this is done, and the mjlj connected to your computer and everything switched on, first thing to do is tell the mjlj that it's looking for tps input, (under tools>configutator options>load type.. TPS!) the load has to be calibrated.... that is under 'tools>load axis callibration'

click on the calibrate tps and follow the instructions. once done, the tps/load dial on the main screen should follow the pedal when you move it. you should have a load range of 0 to 100, 0=throttle closed, 100=wide open

hope that helps, and stick with it, you won't believe the improvement!

as for the maps, i started with the basic tps map on here

then driving the car around, noting where/when the engine wasn't behaving correctly, altered the map locations as necessary. take your time, and increase the advance figures slowly, and all will be good!

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

As a follow-up: For tuning your ignition map, you can roughly translate a MAP sensor ignition map to a TPS map by remembering that "Wide Open Throttle" is at about 102 KPa.

I would suggest using the factory default map- this map ranges from 0 to 255 KPa. Discard the ignition map rows above 100 KPa, and spread the remaining rows from 0 to 100 KPa across 0 to 100% TPS load.

You will need to fill in some gaps by duplicating / repeating data.

Once you have this in place, test drive your engine carefully and note what parts of the map work well and what part does not. You can further tune the regions of the map by hand using the tuning view of the software. A friend to drive the car while you use the laptop is probably the best option.

Try these suggestions and the ones by the other users- we think you will see improvements. Let us know how it goes.

Regards,
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

britlude

Post by britlude »

this was the tps default map i started from....

it's for an 8 cylinder so you will have to set it for a 4 cylinder (options tab on the map screen)
Attachments
factory default download.mjlj
default tps map
(719 Bytes) Downloaded 431 times
1937 hotrod, rover quad carbed 3.6ltr V8, v3.3.2 mjlj TPS
1972 Jensen Interceptor 7.2ltr chrysler V8 power.. V4 mjlj

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

Seb, how is it going??

Have you made any progress with it??

Ryan
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available

SEB79

Post by SEB79 »

hi !

In first, i would like to say it is great to read something about people who use the TPS sensor.

I worked on maps last weeks but i didn't try them yet.

we are in winter, and it's rainning here in France.

I just remember my car is able to run before to ask advices and help.

Since February, megajolt and wiring are ok.

I know that my problem is only a problem of map.

I Think the most important problem is to find the right value for load. and now if i understand what you said, advance values must be different if we use a tps sensor. so i write this map. Take an eye on this one, and give me your point of view. I give you my engine specs again.

Mini with a 1380 cc engine. 286 kentcam. 1.5 roller rockers. 7 ports head cylinder. weber carbies dcoe 40 (F16 with 125 and 170 in air, P 40, choke 32, aux vent 4.5, 45f9) 10.5 to 1 VR

regards
Attachments
19 12 09.mjlj
last map ...
(800 Bytes) Downloaded 432 times