Alternative to serial port?

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

mark pietz

Alternative to serial port?

Post by mark pietz »

I now have a different laptop, and it doesn't have a 9-pin serial port. (has one with 3 rows, whatever number that is). It has two USB ports and what appears to be an RJ11 port, or at least will accept the end of the cable from my MJLT.

What do I do to hook my MJLT up to the new laptop?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Mark,

You will need a USB-to-Serial adapter- and then you can use the same serial cable you were using on the previous laptop.

See the following for more information:
http://www.autosportlabs.net/USB-serial_adapters

Note- don't plug the MJLJ into the modem port of your laptop- it won't work this way.

Regards,
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

adsport69

Post by adsport69 »

I know the USB serial converter is more common, but I use a PCMCIA serial port plugged into my XP laptop that has no serial port.

Works a treat and isn't so sensative as some usb adaptor cables.

Just another option if you have a PCMCIA slot.
Too many 205 GTI's
Turbo Techics, MI16
205 S16 Turbo Brewing

mark pietz

Post by mark pietz »

I got a serial to usb adaptor. check. believe I got its driver loaded into the laptop. check. But it doesn't seem to communicate. I think that I need to actually reload the configurator program onto the new laptop instead of just copied everything from the old and did the cut and paste. Now I'm trying to find on this site where to download the 4.0 version. Where is it?

mark pietz

Post by mark pietz »

Now I'm bugged. At work they showed me how to load the serial-to-usb adaptor driver, so they say that's working. I've reloaded the 4.0.2 configurator and application files, so those look ok. also have that mingwm10.dll and wxctb-08.dll file located in the same folder. Sitting in the car, ignition on, original serial port adaptor (female) plugged into the new adaptor (male), then usb into side of laptop. Application operating, turn on ignition, nothing. Will not retrieve. Tried other usb port, nothing. Now I'm stuck. Help!

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

In windows Deviice Manager, what COM port does it say your USB-Serial adapter is configured under? You will want to set the configuration software to the same value. i.e. if it says 'COM5' in Device Manager- you'll have to change the config software to match.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

mark pietz

Will try

Post by mark pietz »

I'll do that when I get home and can play with it. But I think I recall the following. Going to "system", there's that list and I went to ports. IIRC, the port was Com 2. Huh. So I should change the Configurator choice to that. Here's what I don't understand, as I'm computer challenged. Below port there is a heading of "usb". When that's opened, there is this huge list of items. Is it that when an item with a usb plug is inserted into the usb port (my laptop has two side by side), that the driver detects this and routes the data accordingly to port Com 2, whatever that is. I know when I plug a memory stick into the usb port, it all works. FWIW, the serial/usb adaptor I bought has 1 usb nub on it and splits to two serial port adaptors (I searched many local stores and only came up with a double). Little red light on it, and IIRC, there'd be a green light if it was working. No green light.
Back to the usb on the laptop. There are two side by side. Would it matter which one I plugged the adaptor in, if they are all connected to some hub thing. (like a splitter in reverse).
I hated to give up the old laptop because everything worked fine, but it had to be swapped out. Hopefully this will get worked out too. I'll let you know what I find later tonight. <sigh>

mark pietz

Hmmm...

Post by mark pietz »

Adsport,
What does that socket on the laptop look like?

My present laptop is an older IBM Thinkpad

mark pietz

No dice

Post by mark pietz »

COM 2 is listed under ports, so I set the Config software to this setting, and it doesn't work.

mark pietz

HOORAY!!!!

Post by mark pietz »

I know about cars, its computers I need to learn about. The serial/usb adaptor driver didn't load properly. So I reloaded it, then because I'm stupid, figured out to actually recheck System to see what COM port changes occured as a result. Whaddayouknow. Now COM6 and COM7 usb was listed, but it took some figuring to see which slot on the laptop was 6 or 7. The config app figured it out as COM7, now everything works like it should. Was able to make some tweaks to the map.

Double-back flip!!!

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Yay! I am genuinely happy- both for you getting it to work, and for getting past yet another USB-Serial debacle. :D
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter