Any BMW 2002 or E21 owners get their tach to work?

General Megajolt Questions and Answers

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

bflan2001

Any BMW 2002 or E21 owners get their tach to work?

Post by bflan2001 »

I've been reading all the different possibilities for wiring up the tach, but i don't want to start hacking up my wiring harness just to see if something works. are there any older BMW owners on here with a functioning tach? Care to share how you did it?

Yvan

Post by Yvan »

I have E30 316, and I just connected mjlj tach out to the tach in wire (black in my case IIRC).
'87 BMW 316 E30
1600cc M10B16
petrol + LPG, MJLJ

bflan2001

Post by bflan2001 »

Yvan wrote:I have E30 316, and I just connected mjlj tach out to the tach in wire (black in my case IIRC).
thanks for the reply, Yvan. Where did you make the connection? You didn't have to install any resistors or other electrical items?

Yvan

Post by Yvan »

I have wiring diagram for my car, so I found the "tach in" wire, at the connector at the back of the instrument cluster. I connected mjlj tach out there.

Do not connect tach out of mjlj permanently to this wire if you plan to keep existing ignition system for occasional use, you may kill mjlj (like I did). If you switch to the original ignition system disconnect mjlj tach out wire.

BTW I am just about to live for a three week holiday, so I may not answer to your questions for some time.
'87 BMW 316 E30
1600cc M10B16
petrol + LPG, MJLJ

bflan2001

Post by bflan2001 »

Yvan wrote:I have wiring diagram for my car, so I found the "tach in" wire, at the connector at the back of the instrument cluster. I connected mjlj tach out there.

Do not connect tach out of mjlj permanently to this wire if you plan to keep existing ignition system for occasional use, you may kill mjlj (like I did). If you switch to the original ignition system disconnect mjlj tach out wire.

BTW I am just about to live for a three week holiday, so I may not answer to your questions for some time.
OK I will try to run it directly to the 'tach in' on the backside of the cluster. I threw out all the original ignition components so I don't have to worry about switching back. Thank you for your help, Yvan. Enjoy your holiday!