Edis, have I blown it ?

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Gassed'58

Edis, have I blown it ?

Post by Gassed'58 »

Hi all, having just installed the Edis to try just this part of the install prior to fitting the Megajolt I made a boo boo and wired the Edis the wrong way around, I could have kicked myself. Ground became +24v and vica versa. I cannot get the engine to run on Edis alone so have I blown the unit ? I don't have one to substitute so hoping for advice. Thanks.

Spockie-Tech

Post by Spockie-Tech »

Not enough information sorry.

If the car was running on EDIS prior to your mistake and is not now, then you could say with fair confidence that it was dead.

But if you havent had the car started on EDIS before, then it could still be OK and anyone of a number of things causing the failure to start. VR Sensor polarity, distance, Coil Pack wiring, Edis power etc.

Unless someone has experience with blowing up several EDIS's with reverse polarity 24v and can say otherwise, then there is a possibility that the EDIS could have an internal diode protection circuit preventing reverse polarity from blowing it up easily. A lot of auto electronics is built with a fair bit of protection..

You are aware they are 12v powered, not 24v ?

Otherwise,
go looking for other causes,
bench test the unit with a trigger wheel on a drill,
swap it into another running car if you have another EDIS powered car,
or get another one..

its not a bad idea to have a spare around anyway given that they're not the sort of thing you find in your average auto parts shop. You dont need the megajolt to drive home, but you do need the EDIS

Gassed'58

Post by Gassed'58 »

Hi Spockie Tech, thanks for the input.

First time try out of the Edis on the vehicle, I wanted to prove it out prior to introducing the Megajolt into the equation.
Polarity should be correct as the wiring was removed from the donor vehicle in one complete lump and not altered here.
Sensor distance is 0.5 mm, will try closer.

You've give me a few things to consider and I'll work through them, hopefully it will come out in the wash otherwise it'll be a trip to the scrapyard !
If I get a result I'll post here as someone else is sure to do the same as me ( hope not ).

Gassed'58

Post by Gassed'58 »

Ok, I got it all sorted in the end, a trip to the scrapyard and one replacement Edis unit for £10 and the job was a good one....It runs on Edis alone !!!!!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Most impressed already, started up on LPG much smoother than usual, settled down better and the timing marks are rock solid, cannot wait for the next
stage of connecting the Megajolt.

Anyway, I hope others learn from my lapse in concentration.